People often ask how I made the steampunk wings, so this year I thought I’d show a few behind-the-scenes pictures of my son Gage and I building them. We were inspired by Mecheng42’s wings described on Instructables.com, though his were much more complex.

Planning the size and shape
Planning the size and shape
First we built a prototype of the mechanism and tried many variations of pivot points to get the action we wanted.
First we built a prototype of the mechanism and tried many variations of pivot points to get the action we wanted.
We scavenged an old backpack frame from Goodwill and chainrings from Yellowbike.
We scavenged an old backpack frame from Goodwill and chainrings from Yellowbike.

 

Hours of trial and error followed...
Hours of trial and error followed…  Eventually we found the optimal attachment points.
We added the wings and found that they were very heavy.
We added the wings and found that they were very heavy.
Adding a spring to assist out of the rest position solved the problem.
Adding a spring to assist out of the rest position solved the problem. After some bronze paint and fabric, they are operational!

IMG_4795

Wings in motion video

 

These days I’m pretty busy with my metal sword casting classes for kids (see schedule), but if there is enough interest, I’d be open to teaching a few other people how to build their own version of wings for Halloween next year. Email me at swordcastingguy@gmail.com to inquire.

Advertisements